Root canal treatment Ottawa
Parliament Hill Dental
What is an endodontist?
Endodontists are root canal specialists trained in the management, diagnosis, and treatment of conditions affecting the inner parts of the tooth. When the time comes for a root canal, our team will work closely with you (and your Ottawa dentist) to improve your oral health and restore your natural teeth.
Why should I get a root canal treatment?
Root canals are one of the most common dental procedures performed every year since they can save natural teeth and prevent the need for dental implants or bridges.
A root canal treatment is performed to repair a severely injured, cracked, or decayed tooth when its pulp (the tissue inside a tooth) becomes inflamed or infected. At Parliament Hill Dental, root canal treatments are usually completed in one or two office visits, depending on the severity of the condition and the treatment plan that will be decided with you.
During a root canal procedure, the nerve and pulp are removed and the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed. Without this treatment, the tissue surrounding the tooth can become infected and lead to abscess formation. After the restoration, and with good oral hygiene habits, the tooth will continue to function normally and has the potential to last a lifetime.
What are the common symptoms with endodontic problems?
Contact us directly at our downtown Ottawa office if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Tooth pain
- Gum pain
- Prolonged sensitivity to heat or cold
- A tooth that is tender when it is touched
- A tooth abscess
- Swelling or tenderness under your jaw
If a root canal is needed:
- A local anesthetic is applied to the affected tooth and surrounding area
- The tooth is isolated to keep it clean and free of saliva during the procedure
- An opening is made in the top of the tooth
- The pulp and nerve are removed
- The root canal is cleaned, medicated, and filled with a biocompatible material
- A temporary filling is put in place
- Your general dentist (or a member of our team) will then place a permanent restoration to protect your tooth permanently
If you want to know more about root canals and how it could potentially help you achieve better oral health, take an appointment at our downtown Ottawa office.
Hours of Operation
MON – THU
8:00am – 4:00pm
FRI - SUN
Drop Us a Line
Don't be shy. Let us know if you have any questions!