Dental Prevention Ottawa
Great oral health starts at home
Parliament Hill Dental
Dental Prevention Ottawa
Why is oral hygiene so important?
It is no secret, the best way to prevent cavities and gum disease is to brush your teeth daily in addition to flossing properly. Periodontal disease and cavities are both a direct result of bacterial plaque that adheres to your teeth and over time, in the absence of good dental hygiene, turn into tartar. By brushing and flossing daily, you can eliminate these germs and help prevent periodontal disease and cavities.
How to choose your toothbrush
- Whether manual or electric (depending on your preference), your toothbrush should be soft and made of nylon bristles
- The brush head should be small enough to properly reach the teeth located at the bottom of the mouth
- The handle of the brush must be comfortable and allow for a good grip.
- Rinse your brush very well after each use and make sure it can dry properly.
- Replace your brush every 3 or 4 months (as soon as the ends of the bristles are frayed).
A few tips for better oral hygiene
- Apply a small amount of fluoride toothpaste to your brush (the size of a pea)
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle on the surface of the teeth (hair against the gums).
- Make small circular movements on each tooth
- Apply sufficient force to remove food and plaque, being careful to clean all surfaces equally well
What about Mouthwashes?
Mouthwashes are used in conjunction with brushing and flossing and can reduce the chance of cavities by up to 40%. Although anti-tartar toothpaste reduces tartar above the gum line, gum disease often begins below it. Mouthwashes can, therefore, help control early gum disease if used in conjunction with brushing and flossing. If your teeth are particularly sensitive, consult our dental team. They may recommend a medicated toothpaste or mouthwash specially designed for sensitive teeth.
Remember, mouthwashes are not recommended for children under six years of age.
Prolonged exposure to foods and drinks with high sugar content can cause multiple dental problems. A daily commitment to oral hygiene (ie, brushing and flossing) is, therefore, necessary to keep your teeth clean and healthy.
Contact Our Dental Prevention Ottawa Dentist
When you visit us for the first time, our team will take the time to share with you different tips and tricks to maintain good oral hygiene at home. We are always happy to speak with you and will take the time to answer all your questions. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us! Call us today at (613) 233-1118
Our Dental Services
Hours of Operation
MON – THU
8:00am – 4:00pm
FRI - SUN
Drop Us a Line
Don't be shy. Let us know if you have any questions!